Sunday, 25 September 2011

Brinners' Winners

Mellor Firsts' striker Carl Brindley hit his first ever first half hat trick at Wood Lane to give the side an easy passage into the Second Round of the Rhodes Cup. Lowly opponents Hillgate from Division E played above their league status but generally could not cope with the pace and movement of Premier League rivals. Mellor might have extended their 5-1 winning margin.
Carl Brindley slots his first

Mellor were quick out of the blocks and might have gone ahead after just 20 seconds when Luke Jubb fed Brindley, who shot wide. On four minutes Matt Cotton was fouled, setting up a free kick in a dangerous position but Dave Whelan's shot hit the wall. 

On 20 minutes Adam Barlow was clean through after playing a delicious one-two with Brindley and looked certain to score but overran the ball. The Hillgate goal survived another scare a minute later when Whelan set Brindley away but again his effort was wide. The siege finally earned its reward on 22 minutes when Jonny Cooke broke clear on the right and slipped in Man of the Match Brindley who made no mistake from 12 yards.

Hillgate's first shot came on 31 minutes but did not trouble Jason Wilde.

Jonny Cooke squares to set up Brindley's second

A minute later Luke Jubb combined with Cooke who unselfishly squared the ball for Brindley to tap in. Mellor looked likely to score with almost every attack. On 35 minutes Whelan's free kick found Adam Barlow at the far post but his header flew over.
Adam Barlow heads over

On 41 minutes Brindley had another chance but shot wide. He made up for it a minute later, slipped in by Matt Cotton to complete a hat trick.

Luke Jubb then hit a post. But just before the break the striker made it 4-0, latching onto a Mark Oldham pass and firing in a shot which rebounded off the keeper and back off Jubb to find the net.

Despite the scoreline Hillgate started the second period in high spirits and had their best spell of the game. On 52 minutes they worked a good position but fired wide. Three minutes later they pulled a goal back with an angled shot that squirmed underneath Jason Wilde. They might have added a second but were denied by a defender's desperate block tackle.

On 65 minutes Rob White replaced Barlow. Matt Cotton almost scored, a defender hooking his effort off the line. On 75 minutes Matt Jamieson replaced Dave Moss.

Two minutes later the visiting keeper upended Cooke on the right and referee Bill Hines awarded a penalty which Ben Beer coolly converted to the keeper's left.
Beer slots his penalty

On 80 minutes Matt Jamieson fired in a shot from 18 yards which was well held low down by the Hillgate keeper. But there were no more alarms for Hillgate's goal.

The Seconds lost in the Wray Cup away at Gorse Hill Reserves 4-1 at the end of extra time after the game finished 1-1 at 90 minutes. New signing Chris Booth scored for Mellor.

The Thirds drew 3-3 away at Old Strets. The Fourths lost 1-6 at home to Moston Brook. Maciek Sobiegraj scored and Paul Wild was the side's man of the Match.

No comments:

Post a Comment