Saturday, 10 December 2011

Thirds Six Points Clear

Bad weather saw the postponement of all but the Third Team's away clash with local rivals Govan on the well drained University Grounds.

The Thirds claimed all three points with a comfortable 3-0 win, all the goals coming in the first period.

But for Govan's keeper Mellor's win might have been more emphatic.

The win puts Adam Axford's and Gary Brown's side six points clear in Division C.

Mellor started at a gallop and Govan were under pressure from the kick off.

Sam Parker's shot is saved

After two minutes Sam Parker broke clear but his shot was brilliantly turned away for a corner.

Five minutes later Dave Whelan fed Parker who went on a powerful run on the right before finding James Robinshaw who drove low through a ruck of defenders into the corner of the net from 20 yards.

Robinshaw scores number one

On 10 minutes Robinshaw scored his second, firing in a direct free kick, dummied by Parker on the way into the far left hand corner of the net.

Robinshaw's free kick makes it 2-0

Mellor almost went 3-0 up a minute later, Dave Whelan denied by a great save from nine yards out.

Govan scarcely carried a threat. When they got forward their attacks were snuffed out with Baguley and Boyle dominant at the back and Man of the Match Cosgrove breaking up the play in midfield.

Debutant Mellor keeper Luke Smith had little to do but when called upon he was reassuringly efficient.

Whelan was denied again by a terrific save on 20 minutes and 10 minutes later Robinshaw curled a great shot just a foot wide from 20 yards.

On 36 minutes Parker effectively sealed the win, breaking clear of three defenders and driving low into the same corner Robinshaw had found earlier.

Biff! Parker makes it 3-0

Mellor started the second half in similar style. Defender Pat Boyle almost added to the scoreline after 46 minutes, side footing a sharp chance wide after a Parker corner.

Pat Boyle fires wide

Three minutes later Dave Whelan had another shot saved. Mellor's attacks were resembling the assaults on Rorke's Drift in the film Zulu.

Parker had a shot deflected for a corner. Then on 55 minutes Daniel Davies' lung busting run down the right ended in a last ditch tackle that conceded another flag kick.

On 56 minutes Ian Arnfield replaced Parker who suffered a knock to his hip.

On 60 minutes Simon Moores replaced Robinshaw.

Whelan missed a good chance on 65 minutes.

Four minutes later Gary Brown came on for Archer.

This final substitution released defender Baguley who began to create extra problems in the Govan back line.

On 80 minutes Whelan created a marvellous chance for Davies, seven yards out, but the full back scooped his effort over the bar.

On 88 minutes came one of the best moves of the match, Cosgrove bursting forward to gather the ball and play it first time 35 yards to the left wing where Baguley advanced and forced another wonderful save from Govan's keeper.

Luke Smith

Simon Moores

No comments:

Post a Comment