Sunday, 27 November 2011


Mellor Firsts chalked up a seventh consecutive Premiership win beating Chorltonians away 3-1.

The win exacted revenge for a 1-2 reverse in the home fixture in August when a Chorlts player kicked in a dressing room door.

This time Dave Whelan, Chris Coram and Matt Jamieson kicked down Chorlts defence to score. The home side's only reply was a Ben Beer own goal which levelled the score at 1-1. Jack Parr was Mellor's Man of the Match. The win puts Mellor second in the Division, six points behind Spurley Hey but with two games in hand. Next up Hazel Grove at home.

Jack Parr

Mellor Seconds found themselves 0-4 down after 25 minutes away at Castleton Firsts but rallied to end the match losing 6-5.

Andy Kuehl, Matt McNulty(2), Ryan Yates and Luke Jubb were the scorers. James Humphries was Mellor's star man, closely followed by Matt McNulty.

James Humphries

Mellor Thirds top Division C on goal difference after a 4-1 away win at Barton Town Firsts. Man of the Match Sam Healey scored a hat trick and Ian Arnfield added the other. 

Sam Healey

Mellor Fourths travelled to the plastic pitch at the Tameside Stadium to take on AFC Oldham Reserves. 

Phil Brown in goal was in good form and denied the home side a first minute goal. On four minutes Maciek Sobiegraj had a good run but his shot was high.

Phil Brown was called into action again on 20 minutes tipping over a fierce drive. Eight minutes later he made another save to deny Oldham.

The home side were dominating and Mellor struggled to create chances.

On 32 minutes Oldham hit a post.

But the longer Mellor dug in the more frustrated the home side became and on 38 minutes a mix up in the Oldham defence led to a defender putting through his own goal.

The makeshift centre back pairing of Man of the Match Mike White and Paul Telfer began to steady the ship. They won most things in the air and covered each other well. Rick Monton and Sam Jamieson in general bottled up the flanks.

Matt Mills replaced Shane Cliffe at left midfield on 55 minutes. Five minutes later Nathan Fitzpatrick fired two yards wide from long distance.

The game was opening up now and Mellor were earning more possession in the final third, if still not creating good chances.

On 70 minutes James Robinshaw replaced Andy Given.

On 75 minutes a poor header in midfield led to Oldham shipping the ball forward early and an attacker got a yard of space to fire past Phil Brown for 1-1.

Oldham might have gone ahead but for another good save from Brown, turning away a long range shot.

The turning point of the match came on 79 minutes when Maciek Sobiegraj got away and toed the ball past the on-rushing keeper who brought him down.

The Pole coolly slotted the pressure penalty into the top right hand corner for 2-1.

Thomas Reeve then replaced Nathan Fitzpatrick.

A minute later Sobiegraj scored again, shooting high into the left hand corner from the right.

Jordan Cassidy then replaced Sean Standen

As the rain fell, Oldham were chasing the game and their defence was stretched.

Maciek Sobiegraj

Sobiegraj got away again and his shot was saved but spun away for Robinshaw to head goalwards from five yards. A defender on the line tried to palm the ball away but only succeeded in deflecting it into his own goal for 4-1. But the goal was Robinshaw's.

The win puts Mellor up to sixth in Division D.

No comments:

Post a Comment