Sunday, 20 November 2011


Mellor Firsts knocked unbeaten Whalley Range out of the Rhodes Cup in a drama filled 3-2 home win.

Range had three players red carded by the end and were eventually sunk by an 80th minute goal from Danny Leibrick.

Matt Jamieson put Mellor 1-0 up with a penalty after he had been felled by a "last man" tackle which triggered the first sending off.

Cody Wharton saves watched by Craig Frisby and Rob White (far right)

Range then sprang into life and took a 2-1 lead.

But a second Jamieson goal and two further dismissals turned the game in Mellor's favour. Paul Swann was Mellor's Man of the Match.

Danny Leibrick attacks

Rob White clears his lines

Mellor Seconds claimed only their second league win of the season but they did it in style in Brabyns, thumping Gatley Firsts 5-1.

Mellor were under the cosh with 20 minutes left, despite leading 2-1 with goals from Mark Oldham and Tom Bright.

They survived a string of goalmouth scrambles and six yard box pressure. 
But breakaway strikes from Oldham, Andy Given and Paul Newman (a brilliant chip) sent the visitors 
away with glum faces.

Luke Jubb was Mellor's Man of the Match, closely followed by Craig Fairfield.

Mellor defending with Carl Bradbury and Matt McNulty

The Thirds won 3-0 at Whalley Range in the preliminary round of the Whitehead Cup which they won last season.

It sets up a home tie with Milton Thirds in January.

Rick Axford, Marcus McNulty and Sam Parker did the damage. Pat Boyle was Mellor's star man.

Mellor Fourths hosted Chorltonians Sixth team in the Halliwell Shield at Brabyns and came away with a gritty 1-0 win, their first clean sheet of the season.

The prize is a home tie against Old Strets Fourths in January.

Mellor almost took the lead in the first minute, Maciek Sobiegraj hitting a post and then seeing his follow up shot blocked.

But on five minutes he found the net, latching onto a through ball and running on to beat the keeper inside the right hand post.

Chorlts big centre back was causing Mellor problems from set plays and almost equalised from a corner.

On nine minutes Nathan Fitzpatrick, who had an excellent game in right midfield, crossed for Paul Telfer who shot just wide.

A Chorlts defensive mistake on 11 minutes gave Fitzpatrick a shooting chance but he could not bend his shot enough and missed the top left hand corner.

Another Fitzpatrick effort cannoned back off a defender for Matt Jamieson to try his luck from 20 yards but the shot was saved.

On 20 minutes another Telfer effort with the outside of his right foot brought an exceptional one handed save from the visiting keeper.

Chorlts survived three or four uncomfortable moments with last ditch tackles and interceptions.

But they clawed their way back into the match and began to dominate.

They missed a good chance on 31 minutes and four minutes later Phil Brown had to pull off a block in a one-on-one situation with Rick Monton clearing the loose ball.

Mellor's defence began to come under more pressure but they coped well, with man of the Match Paul Wild outstanding.

At half time Sean Standen replaced Michael White.

Fitzpatrick shot wide from 25 yards on 48 minutes.

Mellor had a couple of half chances but shots were either blocked or flew too high.

On 60 minutes Maciek Sobiegraj was sent clear but as he rounded the keeper on the edge of the box he was sent crashing to the floor.

Referee Richard Makin decided on a yellow not a red card and the resulting free kick was saved.

James Robinshaw was introduced up front on 63 minutes.

In a further reshuffle Telfer went to right back on 70 minutes for Rick Monton whose place was taken by Thomas Reeve operating on the right flank, with Fitzpatrick pushing more central.

The fresh legs seemed to afford Mellor more possession and the influence on the game swung back in the home side's favour.

On 75 minutes an overhead kick by Reeve fell to Sean Standen, six yards out with his back to goal. He spun and connected well but the shot flew high.

Phil Brown made another good save on 76 minutes and two minutes later Standen had another shot blocked as the played yo-yoed from end to end.

Sam Jamieson had an effort brilliantly saved on 88 minutes and as the clock ticked down Mellor survived a corner and two long throw-ins to see the game out for a confidence boosting victory.

In his match sheet notes Referee Richard Makin said of Mellor FC : "Very well behaved team and a credit to the club".

Well done to all the managers, assistants and players for a terrific weekend of results.

The winners of the latest 100 Club draw were:

Russell Cox (number 52) who wins £40 and Care Needs (29) who win £80.

No comments:

Post a Comment