Saturday, 5 November 2011

Mellor's Stockport Cup dream is over

Mellor Firsts lost 2-4 at home to Cheadle Hulme Villa in the Stockport Senior Cup semi final.

Matt Jamieson fired the first real test of the game after nine miniutes. The Villa keeper fumbled his long range effort but Carl Brindley could not follow up quickly enough.

Villa then began to dominate. On 13 minutes a Villa forward shot inches wide. A minute later a Villa forward was clean through but his lob cleared the bar.

Cody Wharton in Mellor's goal made an excellent save on 16 minutes at the expense of a corner.

But on 17 minutes, against the run of play, Mellor scored, Dave Whelan feeding Jonny Cooke who slotted in Matt Jamieson to shoot low into the corner from 24 yards.

Jamieson was put through again on 32 minutes but slightly overran the ball. He was crowded out.

On 35 minutes Villa swopped their keeper, who was injured kicking the ball away.

Villa made it 1-1 on 42 minutes after a clever one-two which cut open Mellor's defence.

At half time Mellor substituted Jonny Cooke. Steve Smith took over in midfield, Carl Brindley was moved to the right and Dave Moss went up front to support Jamieson.

Villa went 2-1 ahead within a minutes of the re-start. Mellor then survived a downward header on 50 minutes.

But on 55 minutes came the biggest drama of the game, when Villa's substititute keeper appeared to drop the ball behind him and over the line.

The ball was cleared and the referee waived away Mellor's appeals for a goal.

On 65 minutes Villa made it 3-1 after a poor defensive header set up a shooting chance. Cody Wharton made a good full length save but a Villa forward followed up to score.

Wharton then made another excellent save on 67 minutes.

But two minutes later Villa went 4-1 up.

Jack Parr and Luke Jubb replaced Carl Brindley and Dave Moss.

On 75 minutes Jack Parr was upended in the area and Matt Jamieson blasted home the penalty for 2-4.

Mellor pressed and Craig Frisby, in the six yard area, only just missed an 81st minute free kick from Jamieson.

On 86 minutes Jamiseon slashed wide from 16 yards and Villa saw out the match to progess to the semis.

Meanwhile in the Premiership basement side Hazel Grove did local rivals Mellor a favour by beating AFC Oldham 2-0 at Torkingtton Park, recording only their second win in 12.

Mellor could leapfrog AFC Oldham if we win our game in hand.

Mellor Seconds lost 0-2 at home to Ardwick.

Alex Wood missed a penalty at 0-1.

Lewis Jeffs was Man of the Match and Andy Kuehl also put in an exceptional performance.

The Thirds won 4-2 at home against Chorlts who stay in second spot in Division C, just ahead of Mellor in third.

Terry Wilson, Si Moores, Sam Parker (pen) and Rick Axford scored.

The Fourths lost 1-4 away to  Moston Brook. Mike White scored. Adam Somerville was Man of the Match.


No comments:

Post a Comment